Here we are again. The start of a new year.
What are your goals? Your dreams? Your aspirations? What do you want to accomplish and what do you want to let go of?
For many years now, I’ve picked a word (sometimes, three words) to set my trajectory for the upcoming year. Some people have termed them one-word resolutions. However, I believe it’s more than that.
These words can set your intention and your focus for the year. The word can be a symbol, a feeling, a thought that distills the essence of what you want to achieve for the upcoming year. It can encompass all those goals and dreams.
There are a lot of ways to find your word(s).
- Perhaps you have certain goals that you’d like to achieve. Is there a word or words that encompasses all of them?
- Look at inspirational quotes. Which one speak to you? Why? Is there a particular word?
- Consider doing a vision board and see what comes from that.
- You can do some self-hypnosis sessions and ask your awesome inner mind for recommendations.
- Look at something you really want to change and draw inspiration from that. It can be something you gain, or even something you wish to let go of (ie, bad habits, relationships, jobs, etc).
- Look at books, movies, friends and family. What are you reading over and over again? What do you tell your friends and family…or what do they tell you? What is the common denominator?
Once you choose a word, you’ll want to keep it front and center in your day to day life. You might consider journaling about it on a regular basis, make art around the word, create a computer/tablet/phone wallpaper, or make it the cover image on your social media. You may want to post it all over your mirrors and who knows…maybe even get a tattoo!
Here are some words to consider. Think of these as prompts to get your own creative juices flow. I look forward to hearing the word or words you’ve chosen.